Friday, December 26, 2008

Dakota Sunshine

What could be more lovely and uplifting during this cold, snowy time than a happy, smiling sunflower?

During late summer in North Dakota, the vast fields of blooming sunflowers make everyone smile. The first time I saw one of those fields, I had to stop the car, get out and stand up on the doorframe to look out as far as I could see... it was just like a sea of sunshine!!! The yellow was so intense it made me feel like I was bathed in sunbeams. I never forgot it, and some years later began a series of paintings (that continues to this day) of the sunflower in its glory. They are all titled "Dakota Sunshine" and have brightened the lives of many smiling people.

This painting with a bit of purple sky is available framed (11" x 14") at Junk Yard Chic, a fabulous shop filled with gifts, art, home accessories, and all sorts of whimsical, magical surprises in Bismarck, North Dakota. If this one is sold, they have more in other colors! Or if you want one with your state's name on it just email Ann Andre at Junk Yard Chic, or call her at 719-223-3784, or email me at angelcatpainter@gmail.com.

Anyway, a bit of the sunflower sunshine is good for all of us at this time of year... helps us remember that spring and the warm blooming weather will return. I think we can better enjoy this time of rest, reflection and renewal, knowing that.

2 comments:

JLH said...

I can personally vouch for the Dakota Sunshine paintings - they are gloriously uplifting and add sunshine to the grayest day!!

Poppypainter said...

Judy's works are whimsical and inspiring and beautiful. I own many of the Dakota inspired paintings as well as several angels. Love them!